Monday, December 27
As an interesting aside: they cite a study that showed improved civilian trauma medicine accounts for most of the decline in the domestic murder rate over the past 40 years.
In my wife's home town of Penang, over 350 miles from the quake epicenter, 38 are dead and 30 missing. My nephew Jason lives there and reported in this afternoon — he's fine, but there's been a lot of destruction.
Saturday, December 25
- The Dashboard, which is a panel of three analog gauges, each of which can be connected to the internet-sourced variable of your choice (DJIA, Metro Traffic, or custom feed).
- The Orb, a ball that glows red to yellow to green depending on the relative change in one of the variables mentioned above.
Credits: Found this on Josh Rubin's Coolhunting, which is a hipper Gizmodo.
Friday, December 24
When someone says something confusing about computer security, now you can say "I think that's just a restatement of Schiffman's second law."
- Locks Only Keep Out Honest People: Security measures inconvenience authorized users more than their adversaries.
- Ask, "Qui Bono?": The "pointless hassle" security procedure is there for a reason — only not the reason you think.
- Outrun the Other Hikers, not the Bear: If you're a harder target than all others equally or more attractive, you're working too hard.
Tuesday, December 7
Over at Educated Guesswork, in a response to a post on "Me-too drugs", a commenter wonders why Grapefruit juice inhibits the metabolization of non-sedating antihistamines.
I'm glad you asked that question.
Grapefruit inhibits the activity of the liver enzyme cytochrome P450-3A4, which metabolizes about half of the medicines in the modern pharmocopia. (One third of the rest is handled by P450-2D6). One look at the list of drugs using, inhibiting or potentiating P450 might lead you to conclude that every pair of drugs will strongly interact. Check out Flockhart's canonical P450 interation table.
Of the thousands of interesting interaction inferences that can be made from this table, note this one: eating charbroiled meats should help reduce a coffee buzz.